Jan 25, 2010

Memory Verse Monday - 1 Timothy 6:18 on Sharing


Teaching your children to hide God's word in their heart is one of the most important things you can do. Each week I memorize one verse with my 3 1/2 year old daughter "Sweet Angel." I want to place high importance on God's Word and teach her that the Bible is our best source for how to live our lives.

I have a great book called Parenting with Scripture by Kara Durbin. It is organized by topics and gives serveral verses to go with each. There is also a discussion section for each topic to help parents talk about applying the verse to daily life. Finding verses in the book is easy but you can also Google anything...including topical Bible verses :o)



Children are never too young to read scripture to. You should quote and read God's Word to your kids no matter what their age. I started memorizing verses with my daughter when she was 2. I wish that I would have started earlier! A toddler forming sentances can remember "God is Love" 1 John 4:8. And what an important truth for them to hide in their heart!



To help Sweet Angel memorize her Bible verse we say it together several times each day. As the week goes by she can say more and more of it by herself. Having specific times each day to say our verse helps both of us remember. We say our verse everytime we eat or go to bed. And for a 3 year old that means that we say it 7 times a day!

This week's verse is focused on SHARING. My Sweet Angel is learning to share with her 16 month old baby brother "Little Buddy."



"Do good, be rich in good deeds, be generous and willing to share."

- 1 Timothy 6:18


By the end of the week when I spot Sweet Angel being selfish I can just ask, "Honey, What is 1 Timothy 6:18?" And do you know what? She knows the answer!



Happy Memorizing! Come back tomorrow for Tasty Tuesday!
blog comments powered by Disqus